Friday, February 6, 2015

Self Advocacy..Speaking up for Oneself~



   Good evening my readers.  I am happy to say my husband and I are now in our new place, that we moved too and love it. There are many reasons why im so happy that we are now in a new place, but now that the night mare of finding a place is over and were getting settled in and we have internet back I can now once again focus on my blogs, which when  im actively doing them keep me busy.
 Tonight’s topic is  a very important one, though everything I write on has importance, this topic sums them all up and it’s the very reason why I do what I do writing this bipolar blog. The topic is Advocating. What is it and why is advocating so important to those who suffer with depression, mental health issues and how can you take part in advocating?
 How many of you have ever felt like your voice did not matter? How many have felt like you got the short end of the stick, when it came to how doctors treated you with your depression? How many of you have ever felt like you weren’t believed, or you were belittled? I know I have at certain times. It wasent until I found my voice that I knew then that my bipolar was not going to win this war.
  For so many years in my own journey, I did not know how to find my voice. I was so lost within myself, I was fighting myself every day, afraid that I would be lost forever in a dark world of depression .Because I didn’t have  a healthy self esteem, I didn’t think I could be  of any use in raising awareness, which  part of that process is Advocating for yourself and for others.
  Self-advocacy gives you a sense of power and control. YOU play a role in your treatment, your not just a patient, but a contributor, it gives you some ownership to this disease. We can’t control bipolar/depression but we can control how much input we have, and again it goes back to learning to care enough and love yourself enough to speak up, you have a right to  take part in your own  treatment of your emotional well being.
  Develop your own power statement: Meaning I will be treated with love and respect. I will not be silent; I have a right to be heard. In addition, stand by your beliefs!
Ways you can advocate:
Ask for what you want: Make your needs known
The right to say yes or no: know your rights!
You can change your mind: do not be pressured into doing anything that makes you uncomfortable!
Stand by your beliefs and values:
Do not be afraid to speak what you feel: Your feelings are valid and worth being acknowledged
Receive all info on treatments, risks and benefits:
Be treated with dignity, respect, and compassion: ive gone through times in my journey when ive gone to the hospital and was not treated with compassion. I had doctors whose bedside manner was anything but kind! If at any time you feel like someone in the medical field has done this to you, speak up, keep your cool, your more  apt to get your point across if you don’t lose it, I know its tough, ive been on both sides!
Be listened to: Not just HEARD!
Receive Hope and Encouragement: Search out those who will support you!
Communicate concerns: Don’t just sit back and go along with everything they tell you, if you have concerns about medications they are putting you on, express that, its your right!
Involve family/friends: you have a right to have them involved!
 Be yourself:
Be safe:
Change doctors: this is huge, ive dealt with this one, because some of the doctors ive had were not helping me in a healthy way, or they made me feel uncomfortable or terrible bedside manner, so I switched to someone I felt comfortable with! Do not be a doormat!
Play your ROLE: have a part in the decision-making!
Keep track of your progress: this is your way of showing your doctors that you care about your treatment, its also a way of learning to find what your triggers are, and learn healthy ways to cope.
Do your research: ive done this before personally, know what your medications are, why you take each one, side effects. When you choose a new therapist or psychiatrist, do your research about their back ground and degrees, what are people saying about them?
SELF-ADVOCACY IS WHAT IT‘s ALL ABOUT! You have a voice make it heard…
 Just like the small pebble in the water makes many ripples, once voice can make all the difference, it can change how your treated and then others hear about your experiences and then aren’t afraid to speak up to! Make ripple effects~

No comments:

Post a Comment