Friday, January 22, 2016

Use Your Story to Find your Voice~



 As a writer, I think a lot about the world around me, and how society plays a role in how the outside world views mental health.  I have dealt with depression and bipolar for so long though ive been stable for years, and I continue on that road of living a life of mental stability. I want to challenge each of you to rise above the ashes of what you see your life to be. You there; Don’t just sit in the cell and be a prisoner of your illness if you need help reach out your hand if you have a story to tell which we all do, speak out. don’t sit in silence, not for one minute longer, because the longer we sit in silence the longer it will take for the stigma  that surrounds mental health to fall to the way side.
  Yes were only one person you say, but one person can make a change, especially if a lot of us stand up and speak out to the world around us. You see I’m doing my part, don’t say, I m not a good writer, tell what you know, what you know is what you’ve been through, no one has felt your feelings the way you do, or gone through it exactly like you have. Do not say you cannot speak, speak to your friends, your coworkers, your family, anyone who will take the time to listen to a story of a life, your life that matters, your life which is worth fighting for!
 The words of a poem are coming to me….
   “Words”
  My heart bleeds my tears, for all the lost, the lost and forgotten years, years that I let fall to the wayside, because I did not speak, I could not find  my voice, I did not believe that I could. I had to search, deep within myself to pull out my courage, my dreams that I thought were long gone. My words were written as scars that I wore, words that I tired to speak, but just could not find that strength I needed to step out of that prisoner cell, four walls that enveloped me for so long, walls that kept me safe from the outside world, there was  no bridge to cross.
  I had felt every loss. yes at times I felt like I was at the end of my rope; I didn’t just want to tie a knot, I wanted to let go and  just find that release, but something deep inside started to stir my heart., deep down I knew I had the strength of a lion, yet had lost my will to be brave, I could not make a sound, for each word fell on deaf ears. Night after night, the tears fell from my eyelids, but each time i cried I found the strength to get up once more. I wanted to hid away, but something told me to stay put, to take my stand, to lift my head, and as I did I finally found my voice once again and the words I longed to speak flooded my lips once more! The end~
 So my friends, DEPRESSION does not need to hold you hostage, its not a death sentence, and your not weak, in fact your some of the strongest people I know so find your voice and speak the words that are in your heart  because your story is not finished yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment