Monday, February 17, 2014

Importance of Hospitalization~ On The Outside Looking In with Hope~



                             A young 16 year old girl with a tear stained face, lies on a cot in the emergency room, a cold, lonely room with white walls, and a tall security guard stands outside her door, because she is on suicide watch.
                           I knew I needed to write an entry in my blog, about hospitalizations, about my experiences when I was admitted, and what good can come from getting help to become stable. I’m 35 years old now, it’s been 12 long years since the last time I walked the halls of a psychiatric hospital ward. I want to speak words of strength and comfort into your life, right now, I want you to know that you’re not alone, I’ve experienced the fear, the anger, the refusal, the not knowing what was on the other side of that door that would close behind me and lock.
                     I never thought, I would end up needing to go there, I never thought I would spend my mid teens to early twenties in and out of a place like that. No not me, I had a storybook childhood, I never was abused, I had a loving family and amazing friends. We all have problems, so what made me feel so different and how did I end up there from where I was, a happy, carefree child surrounded by love all around me.
                  My very first hospitalization happened when I was 16 after a suicide attempt, my fiancé don brought me, and he had to wrestle a knife out of my hands. I had never been so scared in all my life, I really was depressed, but then fear took over when I was told that I could not leave and I was on a 72 hour suicide watch.
              When we arrived there, at the ER, a case worked from the psychiatric unit came down to evaluate me, they would ask a bunch of questions, it all just slurred together. It was as if I was a in a slow motion dream, that I could not wake from. But then a Wave of release came over me, I knew after talking that I needed help and it was such a release, a sense that I was going to be able to get the help I needed and be in a safe environment, while I got that help. Fear Gripped me, when I walked down that long corridor to the door at the end of the hall.
           By no means did I want to be there; locked away, told I can’t leave, unable to see anyone for a few days really didn’t know what I was in for, the intense meetings with my case worker and doctor. The 15 minute, then half hour checks, which they would take anything away that I could hurt myself with. The daily group meeting, where we all would tell the group how we were feeling, why we were there, and what our goals for the day was, and what we hoped to get out of our stay.
           In the beginning I fought being there, but as the days wore on I realized they were there to help me get stable, to adjust my meds and to keep me safe. I looked forward to the visiting hours, when I could see my parents and don my fiancé yes I got engaged early and don was 22 at the time, and yes were still together, been together a total of 18 years, married 15.My doctors included my family and don in my treatment plan, I did get a lot out of that first time. I knew that don was the one I wanted to be with the rest of my life, that night in the ER, because we had only been dating a short time, and he stayed by my side, late into the morning hours holding my hand in his, looking at me with concerned gentle eyes, Only to have to go to work the next morning knew I had found a keeper.
              That first hospital stay took place at 16, it wasn’t until we got married when I was a few months shy of my 20th birthday, that first year of marriage was when I was diagnosed with the bipolar and I became unstable once again. Within the first 9 months of our marriage I was in and out of the hospital 7 times, yes you read that right. You ask how did our newlywed marriage last those turbulent times, well I can honestly say God, the pre marital counseling we had prepared us, and we knew when we took our vows it was in sickness and in health. We loved each other, he truly is my soul mate, and we had a supportive family, both my parents and his.
         The bond I had with my mother in law, she dealt with depression too, and she gave much love and support and encouragement to don, when things just felt too much to bear, and he was scared he would lose me, she was such a comfort to him and of course to me. I don’t know how I would of survived those hospital stays if don wasn’t by my side, always telling me, I could get through this, and one day, id look back on this and I would be sharing my testimony on what I’ve been through and helping others.
        I know it’s a scary thing, but let me tell you its more scary when you’re afraid of yourself and what your capable of doing, no one wants to feel depressed, a lot of times, when those feelings hit, it’s not so much you wanted to die, but you desperately needed the emotional pain to just subside and you wanted to feel, without feeling like you were going to step off the edge of your sanity.
             Sometimes hospitalization needs to take place because you’re a threat to yourself or maybe its just that you need a medication adjustment and that’s the best place to do it, because a lot of times, it’s a trial and error, and if they have to take you off medication, so that they can start you on new ones you need to be in a safe, professional environment so the bipolar doesn’t take over. It’s ok to be afraid,, but there is no shame on getting the proper help and monitoring of your meds. Your Life , there is no price that can be put on it, so please, take that step if you feel the need arise, be open to what help they can give you, the more open you are to getting help, the sooner the bipolar can become.
         If I can answer any questions, id be more than happy to, this is part of my past, but im stable and have been for 10 years, I have a future, God is faithful, and he will show you your purpose, I couldn’t see it then, but I was going to use the pain, and my story to help anyone who came across my path. I’m here to encourage you and walk  with you on this journey, even when the skies become dark and Hope is but a thread, tie a knot and hold on, because your worth it… you’re SO WORTH IT~

No comments:

Post a Comment