Sunday, February 2, 2014

A Ripple Affect....



                    Mental illness is not easy on anyone, no matter who you are, your age. One thing is for sure though, it doesn’t just affect the person who has it, it’s a Family thing, something that each member of the family is affected in some way. If a sibling has a brother or sister who is dealing with depression the one that isn’t feels as if they are in the shadows sometimes. What about the spouse who has a wife or husband who suffers with bipolar, it can wreck havoc on a marriage if, the couple don’t approach it as a team, and go to couples counseling.
              What about the Parent of the child, it tears at their heartstrings, it rocks them to the core of  who they are, because this child they love and do all they can to protect, feels as if the world is against them, feels as if there is a Heavy boulder weighing on their chest, it’s a scary road to walk on having a child with depression, trying to come to terms with it, feeling their pain, wanting to make it all better, but knowing you can’t just snap your fingers and make it all go away. If only it were that easy.
           Even though you don’t have all the answers at why this is happening to your child, rest assured you’re not alone. I lift you up, it don’t matter if I don’t know who you are and we’ve never met, my heart breaks for anyone dealing with bipolar/depression, who is dealing with self injury or has had to be hospitalized. because I’ve walked through those doors and had them close behind me, I know what its like to feel alone, to try to explain to my parents what I was feeling and seeing the pain in their eyes, because they felt mine.
            There are a few things you can do to help your child deal with this. Be available to them, encourage them to talk, and listen not just with your ears, but with your heart. Advocate for them .Reassure them that there isn’t anything wrong with getting help if they need it. Encourage them.
            Also go to Family counseling, it’s a family issue, so it needs to be handled as a Family. Make sure you as the parent take care of yourself, give yourself plenty of Tender loving care, because if you’re not healthy emotionally, how can you help your son or daughter. Do not blame yourself, because bipolar, clinical depression is a disease and it can’t be helped. So don’t play the blame card.
         It’s a tough journey, getting them stable it will take time, but it’s possible. There is HOPE always! If anyone needs encouragement, I’m here for you! I’ve said it before I by no means am a professional, but I have a powerful testimony of what God has done in my life regarding my bipolar and I want to share my story. Offer advice of what has helped me get to where I’m today, and offer ongoing support and inspiration anyway I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment