Sunday, January 26, 2014

A Disease with two faces~



                     Hello readers hope you guys had a good day today. So I was sitting at my desk trying to think what my next entry would be in this blog; there are so many different topics that those dealing with mental illness struggle with, and I hope to eventually touch upon them all in some way.
                   I decided to write about dealing with Mania. I talked briefly about what depression is like and now I want to discuss the polar opposite of this disease. Bipolar for those who might not know or understand have 2 different main components to it. From the heart wrenching depression where you feel hopeless to the Mania where you feel as though you’re on top of the world and nothing or no one can hold you back, it’s as though you feel your untouchable.
             I can recall years ago when my bipolar ugly head reared and it was running rampant in my life. I remember like it was yesterday those days I would wake with boundless energy, where I could go days without sleep, where my words were all slurred together, because when I spoke it all just all was as if I was rambling on. My thoughts were so jumbled and my mind raced, that’s one of the many things I  hated about the mania, I felt as if my mind could not slow down, I couldn’t turn my thoughts off. Which was so exhausting?
                   People with bipolar; usually deal with one of these more frequently than the other. I had my share of mania, but I usually dealt more with the depression aspect of this. There were days I felt as if I was climbing out of my own skin and that’s a terrible feeling. Like I wrote about in my last entry about the important role medications plays in  keeping this disease stable, this is one of the reasons, its so important, to balance  out the chemicals in our brains.
                I can say there were something good that came out of the mania, and that was having the amount of energy I did, because when I was under the cloud of depression, my energy was gone, so those times when the mania would kick in, I took full advantage of I, and got my housework done and took care of things I had been neglecting to do. On the other hand, along with the mania came the feeling I did not need sleep, which is a huge role in helping people who deal with bipolar stay stable and able to function. One thing you find is stress triggers bipolar, lack of sleep affects our minds or ability to make good judgments and will play havoc on our emotions and mental well being.
                  During a manic episode as they are called, I couldn’t always think rationally and when lack of sleep is thrown into the picture, it made for a scary situation. Though during a manic episode I felt so happy, I felt carefree, I felt I could do anything I wanted to do and nothing would stand in my way. Though in the back of my head, I knew I would crash and I would come off that manic high and come crashing down into another deep depression, which was always my fear.There are other aspects of mania, like spending foolishly or in some cases dealing with   dangerous sexual behavior, but not everyone affects each person with the mania.
                   It was like a roller coaster I was on every day, yet I could not get off of it, and I never knew how I’d feel, from day to day, or moment to moment. Bipolar affects people differently, some live more on the manic side and others more in the pit of depression, it’s like your teetering between the two worlds, one is where the sun is shining and you hold your head high and say I can do anything, and the other, you feel like you’re carrying a heavy load on your shoulder, and its pressing you down.
          It was with my faith played a role in helping me cope, seeing a therapist regularly and being on the proper medication to help even things out. Later on I will discuss the other components of bipolar, mixed episodes and rapid cycling. So until next time, Keep fighting, Live the best you can in the moment and always remember there is hope out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment