Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Part 2 "Getting the Most out of Your Hospitalzation"



Hello Beautiful readers, hope all is well! So here, we are starting the 2nd part of this series. I hope you found the first part very informative and encouraging.  on to part 2 which is:  “Getting the most out of your hospitalization” Just so you all know I know what I’m talking about ive had 9 inpatient hospital stays and quite a few outpatient day programs over the years, so I know what’s the process is like and what it’s like on the inside. My last hospitalization was in 2002 I hope to never to return.
 Therefore, in the last entry, we talked in detail about why hospization is important and why the mental health field, government is failing patients and they are falling through the cracks and never getting the professional help they need to become stable again.
 Which brings us to the continuing process, once they find that you are unstable and need medication monitoring or adjusting or you are suicidal you are brought up to the ward and they take all your belongings mostly and lock them up safe. Anything you can harm yourself with like shoelaces and sharp objects are put out of your reach. You then are assigned a doctor and caseworker and there are groups that are required to attend. They keep you very busy with meetings, activities, and groups! Ive had good experiences, bad, and ugly! But that’s just the truth!
Seems like only yesterday; the doors closed behind me and locked, as I waved to Don Goodbye. tears rolled down my face, I knew I’d see him again, but it didn’t make the separation any easier .I would always feel so alone, not knowing anyone. In those  early years of  my bipolar, when I had to be hospitalized, I would fight the treatment sometimes, id not want to go to groups, or meetings, id want to sleep all day, but they don’t allow that, not the places ive been hospitalized.
I want to say I know how scary being admitted is, speaking from experience, I know how your feeling. I have also been on the other side for quite a while now and it took me awhile to come to the realization that they know what they are talking about to help you get on the road of stability. to get better to be able to live your life again, not just survive, but live a full life, we have to work with the doctors, the only way you will be on your way to getting better and stable is getting the most out of your hospitalization.
  I know easier said than done. I know it feels like you have lost your independence and yes in a way you have, for a time and season.  You have to look at it in this light, its investing in your overall health. its giving you the tools to learn how to cope and deal with feelings, emotions and experiences on the outside. Your team, your doctor, nurse,, caseworker, are all on your side, but they can’t do the work for you, they are equipping you to have those necessary tools.
I remember going to the groups for the very first time, I was so nervous I did not want to say anything. Would these people accept me, would they judge me, let me tell ya, I’ve met some of the most amazing and understanding people, the other patients understand where your coming from, I always said I got the most from talking to  those around me, sharing in each other’s stories and pain.
You see you have to look at this experience as a complete picture. Your team of doctors, your caseworker, your fellow patients, groups, even craft time, which by the way I always loved those. This is all part of your treatment plan you are not required to talk to other patients, but you will. you will find yourself talking to someone in the dayroom who has experienced something  similar to you, you will find a common ground, that you have something in common, a bond, your both fighting this battle, and this battle has brought both of you here, now, for a reason to meet like this. Take it all in, don’t fight what you can’t change, remember leave shame at the door, when you come in, there is no shame in being here and getting help, that’s strength strength that succeeds all others!
Be honest with your doctors, if your lie about how you feel you will not get help. I know this is not a fun place to be, my heart breaks for you, but sometimes we need that extra help from the outside, be willing to work with them, the process will go much smoother, I can assure you of that! Its ok to be scared, they understand.
The groups are therapeutic hearing others experiences and giving each other advice sometimes. The craft times are times to be creative and to relax, but it helps us sort out how we feel. You will be surprised, if you are willing to do your part while in there, they will do theirs. I cannot stress this enough be honest with your team and your family.
   Do not brush aside what you are taught, use it, and apply it to your daily life! if you are open and willing, you will get a lot out of your hospitalization, if not, I pray you will come to realize you  might need this step and it will be so beneficial for you. You will not regret it, it will give you those tools and you will go out back into the world with a renewed perspective on your life and how you feel!

No comments:

Post a Comment